One who employs and retains an attorney or counsellor to advise him about some legal matters, or to manage or defend a suit or action in which the client is a party.
The duties of the client towards his counsel include:
- To give him written authority;
- To disclose his case with perfect candor;
- To offer spontaneously, advances of money to his attorney, and;
- To promptly pay his attorney his fees at the conclusion of the suit or matter.
The client's rights include:
- To be diligently served in the management of his business;
- To be informed of its progress, and;
- That his counsel shall not disclose what has been professionally confided to him.