A law is valuable not because it is law, but because there is right in it. -- Henry Ward Beecher
The tasks listed below are a compilation of activities that can be & are performed by paralegals in various specialty areas of law. This list is not meant to be all-inclusive, but is an example of the types of assignments that can be delegated to paralegals.
* Conduct interviews w/clients to gather background info.
* Correspond w/clients, counsel, & others on factual matters.
* Inform client periodically of case/matter status.
* Draft pleadings & documents.
* Organize & maintain forms & client files.
* Index or summarize documents or transcripts.
* Assemble & analyze records from courts or agencies relevant to a case
* Prepare clients for court hearings.
* Assist in administering law library.
* Review legal periodicals & material relevant to a specialty area of law.
* Maintain current binders of court rules.
* Maintain calendar or tickler system.
* Administer paralegal program.
* Research law, including procedural, administrative, or case law.
* Keep track of & report any pending legislation that may affect clients.
* Interview client to obtain info for filing petition & schedules.
* Give client written lists of documents needed, i.e., tax returns,
certificate of title, life insurance, liabilities, & so forth.
* Obtain list of assets.
* Arrange for appropriate UCC filings & real property searches,
appraisals, & so forth.
* Review forms to obtain all necessary data.
* Familiarize client w/general procedures at bankruptcy court hearings,
meetings, & motions.
* Draft & file petitions & schedules.
* Draft & file proofs of claim.
* Meet w/clients for execution of documents.
* Handle incoming & outgoing routine calls & correspondence to creditors,
creditors' committee chairperson & attorney, trustee, & client.
* Attend court hearings w/attorney & client to facilitate flow of
documents & info.
* Keep track of timetable, i.e., when to file motions & serve motions.
* Draft motions for avoidance of liens & reaffi agreements & arrange for
execution of same.
* Draft, serve, & file debtor's monthly financial statements in Chapter
* Draft, serve, & file complaints in adversary proceedings.
* Draft & file attorney's fee applications.
* Attend Section 341(a) meeting.
* Attend Chapter 13 Plan confi hearing.
* Maintain log to check off discharge & status of bankruptcy.
* Draft judgment searches for appropriate offices.
* Draft request/analyze info as to real estate owned by debtor; prepare
lien priority exhibits for use in trial.
* Review clerk's docket & claims register.
* Check availability & reserve corporate name.
* Draft & file Articles of Incorporation.
* Complete & file qualification of foreign corporations.
* Obtain good standing certificates from Secretary of State.
* Draft bylaws.
* Draft notices & minutes, or consents of organization meeting.
* Draft Subscription Agreements.
* Issue & transfer stock, prepare stock certificates & shareholder
registers, & prepare & maintain analyses & charts of outstanding
* Draft banking resolutions.
* Draft Shareholder Agreements.
* Prepare necessary documents for opening of corporate bank account.
* Draft Employment Agreements.
* Complete & file assumed name certificates.
* Complete & file Election by Small Business Corporation & subsequent
shareholders consents to such election.
* Complete & file Application for Employer Identification Number.
* Complete & file Application for Workers' Compensation.
* Notify State Tax Commission of stock book location.
* Prepare & file DISC elections.
* Complete & file Application for Unemployment Insurance.
* Complete & file Application for Employer Withholding Tax Registration.
* Complete & file application for appropriate licenses to operate
* Complete & file trade name applications, copyright applications, &
* Order minute book, stock book, & seal.
* Draft & file application for proper licensing when forming professional
or special purpose corporation.
* Draft response to auditors' request for info.
* Prepare & file annual reports.
* Maintain a tickler system for annual meetings.
* Draft notices, proxy materials, ballots, affidavits of mailing, agendas
for annual meetings &special meetings.
* Draft resolutions to be considered by directors.
* Draft oaths & reports of judges of election for annual meeting.
* Draft shareholders' & directors' minutes.
* Draft written consents in lieu of meetings.
* Draft documents & correspondence necessary to effect dissolution &
liquidation, consolidating merger & sale of substantially all of the
assets of corporations.
* Draft stock option plan, maintain stock option registers & related
* Collect info, draft documents & correspondence necessary to adopt
qualified profit-sharing & pension plans & related trust agreements &
other documents. Submit such materials to I.R.S. for determination
* Draft & organize closing documents on corporate acquisitions.
* Draft lease agreements.
* Draft Articles of Merger or Consolidation, Plan of Merger or
* Draft closing checklists & closing memoranda.
* Prepare closing files & assist in closing.
* Draft articles of dissolution.
* Perform due diligence investigation.
* Compile & index documents in corporate transactions.
* Draft partnership agreements & amendments.
* Draft statements of partnership & certificates of limited partnership.
* Draft certificates of amendment to certificates of limited partnership.
* Prepare & publish Notice of Substance of Certificates of General &
* Draft minutes of partnership meetings.
* Draft non-competition agreements for selling partners.
* Draft Agreement for Dissolution of Partnership.
* Draft & publish Notice of Termination of Partnership (or Continuation
of Successor Business).
* Draft certificates or cancellation of certificates of limited
* Draft & file trade name documents & amended trade name documents.
* Draft analysis in connection w/tax planning & draft state & federal tax
returns & prepare for audit.
* Prepare documents for qualification to do business in foreign
* Prepare necessary documents to amend & restate Articles of
Incorporation & amend bylaws.
* File & terminate UCC Financing Statements w/state & county offices.
* Search state & county offices for federal tax liens, UCC filings,
deeds, mortgages, & judgments.
* Prepare & file DBAs, certificates of trade names, & certificate of
assumed names w/the appropriate state office.
* Prepare & file governmental applications & reports.
* Collect info from & verify filings w/the Secretary of State & other
state & local agencies.
* Change registered office or agent.
* Prepare reports to the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) & New
* Obtain info for SEC & other public agencies.
* Attend corporate meetings.
* Prepare & maintain corp records of subsidiaries, along w/minutes of all
incentive compensation plan committees.
* Follow up trademark & patent searches w/Trademark Counsel.
* Maintain & file Abandon Property reports (escheat laws) w/all states.
* Prepare Blue Sky survey & Blue Sky forms & other documentation relating
to public & private sale of securities.
* Research facts (e.g. public library, newspaper files, financial
* Research statutes.
* Prepare Summary Plan Description.
* Review documents the client provides.
* Conduct asset investigation.
* Draft demand letter to debtor.
* Draft summons & complaint.
* Draft motions for or in opposition to summary judgment, including
memoranda, & affidavits in support.
* Draft judgment, cost bill, & other supporting pleadings.
* Maintain judgment account worksheet to record payments, collection
costs, & court costs.
* Draft notice of demand to pay.
* Draft, file & serve documents for Judgment debtor examination.
* Appear in court at hearing for initial claim of plaintiff.
* Draft, have issued, & serve writ of garnishment.
* File request for dismissal form.
* Draft, have issued, & serve order to release garnishment.
* Draft, have issued, & serve order of examination.
* Appear in court & conduct examination.
* Draft, have issued, & serve writ of execution.
* Arrange for indemnity bond from sheriff.
* Arrange for posting of notice of sale or publication of notice of sale.
* Maintain communication w/sheriff about levy on personal property.
* Prepare bid & attend sheriffs' sale of real property.
* Obtain certified copy of judgment transcript.
* Transfer judgment transcript to a different court.
* Obtain exemplified copy of foreign judgment.
* Prepare affidavit for transfer of a foreign judgment.
* Register judgment in a different state.
* Prepare & file satisfaction of judgment.
* Investigate facts about decision to prosecute or prepare defense.
* Assist attorney in interviewing client.
* Make bail arrangements.
* Gather info for plea bargaining & prepare charges or plea for
* Prepare for preliminary hearing or grand jury presentation.
* Obtain discovery (police reports, search warrant, & affidavits).
* Draft motion compelling discovery.
* Draft testimony of defendant.
* Analyze case based on discovery.
* Research law for filing of pretrial motions.
* Draft motion for change of venue.
* Draft demurrer.
* Draft motions to set aside indictment, to suppress, to controvert, for
civil compromise, for diversion, in limine, for return of property, to
postpone trial, to disqualify judge, to withdraw as attorney of record.
* Subpoena & interview witnesses.
* Examine physical evidence & tangible objects.
* Examine & photograph scene of alleged crime.
* Draft & respond to interrogatories.
* Draft deposition questions & summarize depositions.
* Coordinate & arrange for outside investigators & experts.
* Prepare trial notebook.
* Arrange for diversion.
* Arrange civil compromise.
* Arrange work release.
* Draft Supplemental Memorandum of Law.
* Draft Trial Memorandum.
* Attend conference w/prosecutor.
* Attend pretrial conference w/judge & attorneys.
* Draft jury instructions.
* Attend & assist attorney at trial.
* Draft motions in arrest of judgment, for new trial, for release pending
new trial, for appeal.
* Attend conference w/client regarding pre-sentence report.
* Prepare sentencing info & work w/probation officers.
* Draft petition for leniency, for probation.
* Draft notice of appeal.
* Research law regarding appealable issues.
* Draft assignments of error & arguments.
* Keep tickler for deadline dates, court appearances, & clearing calendar
* Develop defenses, theory of case, & trias strategy.
* Draft qualified plan documents, trust agrements custodial agreements,
money purchase, 401(k), stock bonus, defined benefit plans, & IRA plans.
* Draft amendments & restatements to plans to bring into compliance w/new
law & regulations.
* Draft Summary Plan Descriptions.
* Draft deferred compensation plans, including non-qualified executive
compensation, stock option, & medical reimbursement plans.
* Draft Affiliate Adoption Statement.
* Draft Notification of Participation, Election to Participate,
Beneficiary Designation, election out of qualified joint & survivor
annuity, Application for Benefits & Election to Contribute.
* Draft Summary Annual Report.
* Draft Benefit Statement.
* Draft promissory note & salary assignment for participant loans.
* Draft Board of Directors resolutions for planning adoption, adoption of
amendments, & fixing contributions.
* Prepare & file application for IRS Determination Letter.
* Prepare & file annual report (5500 series & related schedules).
* Prepare PMGC premium forms.
* Monitor progress of new plans & amendments to verify required actions
occur on schedule.
* Coordinate general notice mailings to clients about potential impact of
new legal developments upon plans.
* Develop & maintain checklists, sets of model plans, administrative
documents & letters, & update when new material is developed.
* Research interpretive questions on prohibited transactions for
qualified & non-qualified plans.
* Calculate employer contributions & forfeitures & allocate to
* Determine valuation adjustments & allocate to participant accounts.
* Calculate participants' Years of Service of eligibility & vesting.
* Calculate benefit for terminated participant.
* Test plan for discrimination, top-heaviness, or Section 415 limits.
* Maintain plan in the following manner:
* Pay termination benefits to terminated or retiring employees.
* Pay loan proceeds & track loan repayments.
* Deposit employee & employer contributions to accounts.
* File IRS 1099s for payments made.
* Pay hardship withdrawals.
* Set up pension payroll. (Use outside vendor for this.)
* Track accounts to be certain investments are in accordance
* Review account for updating & revisions to conform w/new tax laws.
* Prepare & file application for determinatio letters for initial plan
qualifications, plan amendments, & plan terminations. Preparation
includes obtaining & reviewing data from client.
* Assist in preparing plan documents & amendments.
* Draft & review Summary Plan Descriptions.
* Keep track of various IRS reporting & disclosure deadlines.
* Assist client in preparing Form 5500 annual report.
* Review regulations issued by government agencies.
* Keep records of various plans maintained by clients & status of
amendments of such plans.
* Correspond & attend meetings w/clients.
* Draft responses to questions raised by the IRS for attorney's signature.
* Prepare required PBGC filings (i.e., PBGC-1s & Notices of Intent to
* Help review or prepare a qualified domestic relations order.
* Help prepare model documents to be used by the attorneys & legal
* Prepare board resolutions relating to the adoption or amendment of plans.
* Superfund - waste allocation
* Collect invoices, bills of lading, purchase orders, weight tickets, &
* Review QC in-house documentation w/waste accountant to identify
duplication & errors in waste allocation.
* Gather records about volume conversion (i.e., gallons to pounds, solids
* Contact plant personnel to initiate document search.
* Coordinate incoming documents from various locations.
* Assemble documents for production to government agencies or third
* Draft response to info request from government or third parties.
* Interview personnel to determine company involvement.
* Participate in PRP Committee.
* Attend committee meetings & conference calls.
* Perform duties required by committee participation (i.e., mailings,
coordination of meetings).
* Maintain current committee mailing lists.
* Perform administrative duties.
* Maintain status of sites.
* Track total number of sites.
* Assist w/budgeting based on estimated allocation amount & estimated
* Prepare reports based on available data for upper management.
* Maintain hard copy & computer file.
Regulatory - Permitting
* Review permit applications for compliance w/regulatory requirements.
* Review draft permits issued by the agency paying particular attention
to "boiler plate" provisions.
* Prepare comments to be reviewed by attorney & submitted during public
comment period (if any provisions seem to exceed the permitting agency's
authority or are otherwise "objectionable").
* Review final permit to see if "objectionable" provisions have been
reviewed or deleted; if these provisions have not changed, consult
w/attorney to see if permit should be appealed.
* Gather applicable laws & regulations to assist in preparation of permit
appeal to administrative tribunal.
* Check legal authority for issuance of violation.
* Interview plant personnel to determine fact situation surrounding
* Open & maintain file.
* Maintain record of penalty amount throughout the year for reporting to
* Maintain subscription services for compilation of federal & state
* Research various questions from attorneys & plant personnel pertaining
to environmental laws.
* Compile all applicable laws & regulations (including state, city and/or
county) for the audited plant location.
* Organize compiled info to be given to plant personnel, environmental
auditor, & attorney.
* Attend initial interview w/attorney & client & help identify legal
problems that can be referred to other entities.
* Collect background info on client, including marriage certificates,
sources of support residence, assets, number of children, & so forth.
* Determine if grounds for divorce or dissolution exist.
* Participate in discussion of other remedies, including counseling,
separation, reconciliation, & mediation.
* Draft petition for dissolution or response.
* Complete domestic relations questionnaire.
* Draft temporary motions, affidavits, & orders.
* Draft notice to produce.
* Draft property settlement agreement.
* Determine support requirements & calculate child support.
* Draft decree of dissolution, accompanying motions & affidavits.
* Draft motion & affidavit for modification.
* Serve notice on opposing counsel.
* Arrange for service of documents.
* Obtain settings for court hearings.
* Maintain contact w/client & handle calls when legal advice is not needed.
* Help client prepare monthly income & expense sheet.
* Arrange for appraisals of real property & personal property.
* Draft subpoenas & arrange for service.
* Schedule expert witness interviews & appearance at trial.
* Obtain info for discovery, organize, categorize, & determine
completeness of discovery.
* Draft proposed stipulations.
* Draft petition for adoption, consent for adoption, decree of adoption.
* Draft petition for name change.
* Draft initial or responsive pleadings; check on service of process, &
draft any necessary motions for service.
* Explain paralegal responsibilities to the client.
* Draft pendente lite motions.
* Prepare file & client for pendente lite hearing.
* Help client complete expert adult abuse petition; arrange for service;
arrange docket hearing date; prepare client & file.
* Draft interrogatories; docket when answers are due; review answers;
highlight answers that seem questionable or questions that have been
objected to; forward to responsible attorney.
* Set depositions; have subpoena duces tecum served;arrange for court
reporter; attend depositions, if necessary; make sure court reporter is
paid; prepare deposition summaries.
* Use custodians through use of subpoena duces tecum to acquire records;
arrange for service of process.
* Use public info sources to get info.
* Arrange for private investigators.
* Prepare request for admissions; docket when responses due & follow up.
* Preview incoming discovery requests; docket response deadlines;
compile answers & documents; draft necessary answers.
* Interview witnesses & serve subpoenas.
* Investigate law & arrange for expert witnesses.
* Keep track of client fee balance.
* Prepare for trial including reviewing file for problems & drafting
amended pleadings if necessary.
* Issue trial subpoenas to witnesses, arrange service & file return of
* Update discovery.
* Prepare proposed order.
* Organize trial exhibits & prepare exhibit list.
* Have charts, graphics, blow-ups, & so forth prepared.
* Keep client informed.
* Prepare compliance w/applicable pre-trial order.
* Discuss courtroom etiquette w/client & witnesses.
* Prepare attorney's fee exhibit w/estimated total cost through end of
* Notify witnesses of status of trial date & have them "on call."
* Assist attorney at trial.
* Manage file at trial.
* Assist attorney in settlement discussions.
* Keep track of exhibits introduced & admitted at trial.
* Take notes at trial.
* Testify about discovery or summary evidence.
* Investigate opposing sides' unknown witnesses.
* Coordinate post-trial follow up including making sure all files are
brought back to office after compliance w/order & inform attorney of any
* Draft motion for new trial or to amend thejudgment.
* Prepare QDROs & get them approved by all interested parties & attorneys.
* Draft & file necessary garnishments, writ of execution, or wage
* Make sure money judgments are paid timely & partial/full satisfaction
of judgments are drafted & filed.
* Draft motion for contempt & show cause orders.
* Assist in appeal process including drafting notices of appeal &
statement of case.
* Order legal file & transcript.
* Prepare legal file.
* File record on appeal.
* Draft necessary requests or motions.
* Prepare file & summary for settlement conference w/appellate judge.
* Prepare file & evidentiary exhibits for oral argument.
* Drive clients to & from trial and/or hearings.
FELA ASBESTOS LITIGATION
* Research various general topics such as documents relating to steam
* Create statistical info for client regarding co-defendants, litigation
costs, & settlement figures.
* Manage cases of all open claims & suits & manage general documents
pertaining to all cases.
* Update status notebooks for all current cases.
* Locate requested articles, cites, & miscellaneous works needed for
trial and/or depositions.
* Complete claim work from opening files to evaluation letter; include
completing discovery, scheduling a statement of the claimant, summary of
same, scheduling an independent medical examination, organization &
summary of all available medical records.
* Perform duties similar to those in general litigation; must be familiar
w/local rules of various federal & state courts.
* Act as liaison w/local counsel & follow all local pre-trial rules &
* Schedule treating physician's deposition, if required.
* Attend department meetings & status meetings w/client to discuss
* Maintain computer calendaring system.
* Order foreclosure report.
* Review foreclosure report w/respect to priority of lienholders &
determine parties to be served.
* Draft foreclosure complaint.
* Draft trustees notice of sale & arrange for publication.
* Prepare & serve trustees notice of sale on grantors subsequent lien
* Draft motion & support documents for summary judgment.
* Draft motion & order for default.
* Draft decree of foreclosure.
* Record all proofs of service, affidavits of mailing, & publication
prior to sale.
* Check for federal tax liens 30 days prior to sale.
* Draft & serve notice of nonjudicial sale on IRS if appropriate.
* Draft bid sheet for sale.
* Draft deed in lieu of foreclosure.
* Attend sale.
* Draft post-sale documents, including motion for writ of assistance.
* Appear at time & place set for sale to postpone sale.
* Draft & record trustees deed after sale.
* Draft & record notice of maritime lien.
* Draft complaint, satisfaction, & decree for foreclosure of maritime
* Draft correspondence to occupants giving notice to vacate.
* Draft complaint in forcible detainer action to remove occupants.
* Take possession, satisfy, & transmit promissory note & original deed
of trust to trustee.
* Interview clients to obtain background info.
* Function as liaison between clients & attorneys.
* Maintain tickler system for timely filing of extensions, petition, &
* Prepare applications & petitions for filing w/INS & the Department of
* Obtain & coordinate documents in support of applications & petitions.
* Coordinate translation of foreign documents.
* Coordinate equivalency evaluations of foreign degrees.
* Research immigrant & nonimmigrant visa alternatives.
* File applications & petitions w/officials at INS & DOL.
* Obtain monthly visa numbers from the State Department & update
* Research availability of foreign documents & assist clients in
* Draft letters & affidavits in support of applications & petitions.
* Function as liaison between INS, DOL, & attorneys.
* Coordinate certification of foreign documents.
* Prepare patent and/or trademark status summary reports.
* Maintain docket system for due dates for responses, renewals,
opposition, Sec. 8 & 15 filings, use affidavits & working requirements.
* Maintain docket system for pmt of patent annuities in foreign counties.
* Conduct patent and/or trademark searches.
* Conduct on-line computer info searches of technical literature for
* Draft trademark/servicemark registration application, renewal
application, Section 8 & 15 affidavits.
* Draft response to trademark examining attorney's official action.
* Draft registered user agreements.
* Draft power of attorney.
* Draft copyright applications.
* Research procedural matters, case law, & unfair competition matters.
* Search prior art, patents, & trademarks.
* Assist in opposition, interference, infringement, & related proceedings.
* Arrange for visual aids, models, & mock-ups for trial use.
* Communicate w/foreign trademark attorneys & agents about registrations,
officials' actions needing response, & trademark services.
* Maintain files of new products & invention development.
* Review patent filings w/engineers.
* Draft licenses/agreements regarding proprietary infor-mation/technology.
* Draft complaint & bill of particulars.
* Draft answer and/or other defensive pleadings.
* Draft interrogs, requests for admission, requests for production of
documents, & requests for examination.
* Review client files, & gather & organize factual data.
* Conduct or supervise fact investigation.
* Respond to interrogatories, requests for admission, & production of
* Review, index, gather, & summarize documents produced by opposing &
* Examine premises, locations, & objects; take notes and/or photographs.
* Draft discovery motions.
* Locate, interview, & obtain witness statements.
* Arrange for expert witnesses, interview, & prepare written reports.
* Work directly w/experts, consultants, & witnesses regarding case &
prepare them for trial.
* Coordinate projects.
* Arrange for outside investigator.
* Obtain & examine public records.
* Prepare & serve subpoena duces tecum.
* Prepare summons & service of process.
* Draft deposition questions & prepare deposition outline.
* Review & assemble documents to be used in deposition.
* Prepare witnesses for deposition.
* Arrange for court reporter & determine need for computerized transcript.
* Attend depositions, take notes, & organize exhibits.
* Maintain personal injury plaintiff file incl contact w/carrier, client,
health care provider, & employer.
* Index & summarize depositions & exhibits.
* Follow up after depositions, & index deposition exhibits.
* Obtain, review & analyze medical records.
* Do medical research.
* Compile records of patent of product, history, & info regarding similar
* Conduct medical &technical literature searches, i.e, analysis of mats &
preparations of report synopsis.
* Attend, supervise, or monitor product, accident or vehicle inspection.
* Obtain, review, & organize damage info; calculate damages (medical
costs, lost wages, property damages); prepare, maintain, & update damage
* Prepare settlement brochures in personal injury cases. (Involves
assembling info on the history of plaintiff, the nature & effect of
injuries, defects of products in product liability cases, & damages.)
* Obtain factual info regarding products, companies, individuals from
various government agencies, resource facilities, & so forth.
* Analyze & summarize factual info.
* Prepare medical notebooks.
* Prepare statistical & factual memoranda.
* Prepare market surveys & gather industry statistics.
* Draft affidavits.
* Arrange for extensions of time by telephone, letter, and/or motion.
* Draft demand letters, subpoenas, & commissions to take out-of-state
* Trace documents & other physical evidence.
* Develop info retrieval systems, including computerized systems
* Supervise computerized or other system.
* Draft legal memoranda and/or briefs.
* Review briefs for accuracy of factual info.
* Check cites and/or Shepardize & proofread briefs.
* Coordinate arrangements w/local vendors regarding equipment, space, &
supply requirements, & coordinate witnesses & experts, especially in out-
* Prepare, organize, & mark trial exhibits.
* Prepare exhibit list & monitor exchange of exhibits.
* Prepare trial notebooks & witness files.
* Draft list of documents & testimony to use in impeaching opposition
* Draft pretrial statements & settlement conference memoranda.
* Obtain jury list & biographical info on jurors.
* Draft jury instruction & voir dire.
* Conduct teleconferences to schedule court appearances.
* Develop "dossiers" on adverse experts.
* Coordinate witness attendance at trial.
* Prepare charts, graphs, & demonstrative exhibits for use at trial.
* Attend trial, noting developments of case, reactions of jurors,
witnesses, & opposing counsel during trial.
* Maintain list of exhibits mentioned, offered, admitted, or objected to.
* Draft cost bill.
* Prepare settlement calculations.
* Prepare comparative analysis of terms for potential settlement
* Attend settlement conferences w/attorney & client.
* Draft settlement documents, including releases & dismissals.
* Draft notice of appeal.
* Prepare record on appeal.
* Organize appendix for appeal brief.
* Order hearing transcripts & prepare recap or outline of transcripts.
* Set up time for filings.
* Prepare releases, settlement documents, & entries of dismissal or
* Conduct initial interview w/client & obtain necessary background info.
* Correspond w/client about case status & preparation.
* Maintain litigation docket; read legal publications for setting &
proceedings in the case.
* Review/summarize rules of procedure in court where action will be
filed, & summarize info for attorney.
* Draft lien letter to opposing party or a response to lien letter.
* Arrange medical examinations for client or opposing parties.
PROBATE & ESTATE PLANNING
* Assist attorney w/the initial client meeting.
* Prepare & maintain a calendar system.
* Notify heirs & devises of probate proceedings.
* Publish notice to interested persons.
* Collect info and/or assets for preparation of inventory & tax returns.
* Accompany fiduciary & court representative to bank for removal of Will
from safety deposit box.
* Evaluate assets (date of death & alternate valuation date).
* Draft inventory.
* Review creditors' claims.
* Maintain financial records of estate.
* Prepare & file probate documents in administration of estate or to
relieve estate from administration.
* Surrender insurance policies.
* File life insurance claims & other death benefit claims.
* Verify bank balances.
* Interpret Will provisions.
* Prepare preliminary tax & cash estimate.
* Obtain tax releases.
* Prepare income projection.
* Draft state inheritance tax & federal estate tax returns.
* Draft decedent's final federal & state individual income tax returns.
* Draft state & federal fiduciary income tax returns.
* Draft petitions & orders for partial distribution.
* Draft accountings.
* Help audit tax returns.
* Draft distribution schedule.
* Draft closing documents.
* Draft federal & state gift tax returns.
* Review documents & tax returns in connection w/an ancillary proceeding.
* Draft tax returns for non-probate estate.
* Collect data for estate planning.
* Draft wills & trusts.
* Draft court documents for conservatorship.
* Draft accountings for conservatorship.
* Draft federal & state tax returns for conservatorship.
* Draft court documents for guardianships.
* Make post-mortem planning calculations.
* Draft documents for sale of real & personal property.
* Maintain & update form files.
* Act as liaison w/probate referee & probate court.
* Arrange for real property appraisals.
* Analyze investments for estate planning.
* File Wills.
* Prepare Application for Letters & Refusal of Letters.
* Prepare other needed petitions E.G. app for widow's allowance,
authority to erect grave marker, & so forth.
* Prepare claims, payment of claims, & receipts.
* Maintain estate bank accounts, investments, & change of address for
* Prepare settlements & obtain continuances as needed.
* Handle transfer of securities & receipts from distribution.
* Order certified copies of documents.
* Contact legal or auditing departments about settlements & other estate
* Prepare final settlement & order for final distribution.
* Represent claimants at SSI (Supplementary Security Income) hearings.
* Represent claimants at SSD (Social Security Disability) hearings.
* Research appropriate Social Security law.
* Assist w/Medicare waivers & Medicare appeals.
* Assist w/Social Security overpayment waivers.
* Locate medical intonation.
* Review Social Security file & obtain documentation.
* Negotiate w/landlord & tenant to resolve problems.
* Assist w/consumer fraud complaints & forward to Consumer Protection
* Obtain documentation for unemployment claim.
* Meet w/client to investigate facts.
* Draft subdivision, condominium, & timeshare registrations for in-state
& out-of-state registrations.
* Draft registrations of recreational subdivisions for federal
* Organize recording procedures for large-scale recording & prepare draft
of opinion letters.
* Perform financial calcs (amortization, net value, discounting, APR).
* Assist in real estate closing.
* Prepare quit claim deeds or other docs for transfer of ownership of
* Conduct a title search or order title search & updates.
* Prepare a preliminary abstract of title & opinion on the title.
* Negotiate title insurance coverage.
* Arrange for the purchase of title insurance.
* Assist client in obtaining mortgage financing.
* Review mortgage applications for clients that sell mortgages.
* Assist in recording mortgages.
* Assemble tax receipts.
* Adjust property taxes for closing.
* Record capital gains or loss on client's income tax return.
* Prepare appropriate capital gains tax affidavit.
* Draft Truth-in-Lending Disclosure Statements.
* Draft & review permits & easements.
* Draft, review, & plot legal descriptions.
* Draft grant, warranty, & other deeds.
* Draft deeds of trust & other loan documentation.
* Draft leases, assignments, extensions, & amendments.
* Draft contracts, assignments, & modifications.
* Redline changes in documents as each is revised.
* Draft & arrange for filing of UCC statements, amendments, extensions, &
* Prepare closing checklist for acquisition & loan transactions.
* Draft escrow instructions.
* Analyze & digest leases, assignments, extensions, amendments, & deeds.
* Review & determine validity of mineral claims through search & BLM
* Check & review zoning, Subdivision Map Act & comprehensive plan
designations; obtain letters on designation as closing requirements.
* Review land surveys, parcel maps, & condominium plats.
* Draft closing statements & arrange closing date.
* Notify all parties involved of closing date.
* Order amortization table.
* Prepare equalization form.
* Arrange for discharge of mortgage.
* Obtain closing figures from bank & prorate all closing costs.
* Appear or assist attorney at closing.
* Notarize documents at closing.
* Follow up on post-closing items, incl preparing closing index & binder.
* Assist client in obtaining liability insurance (e.g., homeowners policy).
* Coordinate office handling of insurance claims of client.
* Prorate real & personal property taxes.
* Draft contract.
* Coordinate w/other parties, revise contract, handle contract execution.
* Review contract for critical dates & monitor calendar for deadlines.
* Arrange foreclosure sales & prepare appropriate documentation.
* Prepare for bankruptcy depositions.
* Draft registration statement & prospectus.
* Organize filing the registration statement.
* Draft 1934 Act Reports.
* Draft questionnaire for officers, directors, & principal shareholders.
* Draft promissory notes.
* Draft underwriting agreements.
* Draft trust indentures.
* Draft bond purchase agreement.
* Draft Blue Sky Memoranda & Blue Sky Registration.
* Review status of Blue Sky application.
* Draft Legal Investment Survey.
* Notify State Securities Administrators of SEC effectiveness.
* Draft & file dealer and/or salesmen registration documents.
* Perfect securities dealer or issuer exemptions.
* Prepare memoranda on the availability of exemptions & requirements (if
any) for registration.
* Draft & file docs for registering broker/dealers/salesmen W/NASD, SEC,
& state securities commissions.
* Prepare NASDAQ & National Market System listing applications.
* Draft & file documents for renewing or withdrawing the registration of
* Qualify dealer corporations where applicable.
* Draft Forms 3, 4, 8-K, 10-K, 10-Q.
* Draft Form D.
* Draft Form 144 & related documentation.
* Draft lease agreement, loan agreement, agreement of sale, facilities
financing agreement ordinance/contracts.
* Draft letter of transmittal & other tender offer documents.
* Draft Indenture.
* Draft confidential offering memorandum.
* Draft security agreements including deeds, guaranties, mortgages.
* Review bond purchase agreement or underwriting agreement.
* Draft summaries of documents for use in preparing Preliminary Official
Statement & Official Statement.
* Coordinate accuracy of the statements w/underwriter.
* Finalize basic documents & distribute for execution.
* Draft necessary resolutions authorizing the issuance of the Bonds.
* Send bond form to printer.
* Proof first galley of the bonds & check manufacturing schedule, coupon
amounts, & CUSIP numbers.
* Check bonds at time of closing & read bond numbered 1. Draft closing
papers for issuer including authorizing resolutions, authentication order
to trustee, incumbency & non-arbitrage certificates, & CUSIP numbers.
* Draft company authorizing resolutions & Officers' Certificates.
* Prepare tax election (if applicable) & arrange for appropriate filing.
* Draft recording certificate.
* Draft financing statements.
* Obtain certificates from state agencies re: good standing of company &
certified corporate documents.
* Attend closing, checking all certificates & opinions, insurance
policies, & legal descriptions.
* Compile the closing transcript, prepare index & organize closing binders.
* Draft regulation of public companies.
* Prepare drafts of proxy & proxy statements.
* Draft annual report to shareholder.
Brought to you by - The 'Lectric Law Library
The Net's Finest Legal Resource For Legal Pros & Laypeople Alike.