From the 'Lectric Law Library's Stacks
Exercise Extreme Caution when using many of our free forms - or any legal material. While they may provide general ideas on format & content, validity requirements can and do vary greatly from state to state. Many MUST be Properly Modified for your own location and circumstances. (Hint: If in doubt it's usually safer to include unneeded clauses than to leave out necessary ones. . . . but it's even safer to consult a competent source or use current, state specific ones like ours mentioned below.) Also, we urge people (and lawyers too) to read our Relying On Legal Info FAQ.
For Up-To-Date Forms Covering Just About Every State & Situation plus Summaries of
Relevant Laws We STRONGLY SUGGEST Checking Out
(This should open a new window. Close it when you're done and you'll be back here.)
THIS SHAREHOLDERS AGREEMENT is made by and among Shareholder 1 ("Share1"), Shareholder 2 ("Share2"), and Shareholder 3 ("Share3") (Share1, Share2 and Share3 and any subsequent person or entity holding common stock of the Company hereinafter sometimes referred to individually as a "Shareholder" and collectively as the "Shareholders") and Company Name, a Delaware corporation (the "Company").
WHEREAS, in order to insure the harmonious and successful management and control of the Company, and to provide for an orderly and fair disposition of shares of common stock of the Company now or hereafter owned by any Shareholder;
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the mutual promises of the parties hereto, and intending to be legally bound, the parties hereby agree as follows:
(a) "Offering Shareholder" means any Shareholder, or his personal representatives, heirs, administrators, and executors, as the case may be, who pursuant to this Agreement must or does offer all or any of his Shares to the Company or the Continuing Shareholders.
(b) "Continuing Shareholders" means all Shareholders other than an Offering Shareholder.
(c) "Shares" means shares of Common Stock of the Company now or hereafter owned by any Shareholder.
(d) "Buyer" means the Company or those Continuing Shareholders who purchase an Offering Shareholder's Shares pursuant to this Agreement.
(e) "Management Shareholder" means Share3, Share1 and Share2.
(f) "Nonmanagement Shareholder" means any Shareholder other than a Management Shareholder.
2. Purchase for Investment.Each Shareholder represents and warrants that he is acquiring and has acquired his Shares for his own account for investment and not with a view to, or for resale in connection with, any distribution thereof or with any present intent of selling any portion thereof.
3. Transfers of Shares. A Shareholder may not transfer, give, convey, sell, pledge, bequeath, donate, assign, encumber or otherwise dispose of any Shares except pursuant to this Agreement.
(a) Transfers to the Company. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Agreement, a Shareholder may give, sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of all or any of his Shares to the Company at such price and on such terms and conditions as such Shareholder and the Board of Directors of the Company may agree.
(b) Transfer to Others. Except as provided for in Paragraph 3(a) above, a Shareholder desiring to dispose of some or all of his Shares may do so only pursuant to a bona fide offer to purchase (the "Offer") and after compliance with the following provisions. Such Shareholder shall first give written notice to the Company and the other Shareholders of his intention to dispose of his Shares, identifying the number of Shares he desires to dispose of, the proposed purchase price per Share and the name of the proposed purchaser and attaching an exact copy of the Offer received by such Shareholder.
(i) The Company's Right to Purchase. The Company shall have the exclusive right to purchase all of the Shares which the Offering Shareholder proposes to sell at the proposed purchase price per Share. The Company shall exercise this right to purchase by giving written notice to the Offering Shareholder (with a copy thereof to each of the Continuing Shareholders) within thirty (30) days after receipt of the notice from the Offering Shareholder (the "30 Day Period") that the Company elects to purchase the Shares subject to the Offer and setting forth a date and time for closing which shall be not later than ninety (45) days after the date of such notice from the Company. At the time of closing, the Offering Shareholder shall deliver to the Company certificates representing the Shares to be sold, together with stock powers duly endorsed in blank. The Shares shall be delivered by the Offering Shareholder free of any and all liens and encumbrances. All transfer taxes and documentary stamps shall be paid by the Offering Shareholder.
(ii) The Continuing Shareholders Right to Purchase. If the Company fails to exercise its right to purchase pursuant to subparagraph (i) above, the Continuing Shareholders shall have the right for an additional period of thirty (30) days (the "Additional 30 Day Period") commencing at the expiration of the 30 Day Period to purchase the Shares which the Offering Shareholder proposes to sell at the proposed purchase price per Share. The Continuing Shareholders shall exercise this right to purchase by giving written notice to the Offering Shareholder prior to the expiration of the Additional 30 Day Period that they elect to purchase his Shares and setting forth a date and time for closing which shall be not later than ninety (90) days after the expiration of the Additional 30 Day Period. Any purchase of Shares by all or some of the Continuing Shareholders shall be made in such proportion as they might agree among themselves or, in the absence of any such agreement, pro rata in proportion to their ownership of Shares of the Company (excluding the Offering Shareholder's Shares) at the time of such offer, but in any event one or more of the Continuing Shareholders must agree to purchase all the Shares which the Offering Shareholder proposes to sell. At the time of closing, the Offering Shareholder shall deliver to Buyer certificates representing the Shares to be sold, together with stock powers duly endorsed in blank. Said Shares shall be delivered by the offering Shareholder free and clear of any and all liens and encumbrances. All transfer taxes and documentary stamps shall be paid by the Offering Shareholder.
(iii) Performance of Acceptance. When exercising the rights granted in Paragraphs 3(b)(i) and (ii) hereof, Buyer must elect to purchase all Shares which the Offering Shareholder proposes to sell for the price and upon the same terms for payment of the price as are set forth in the Offer; provided, however, that if said offer received by the Offering Shareholder shall provide for any act or action to be done or performed by the party making such Offer at any time before or within thirty (30) days after the last day for exercise of Buyer's right to purchase pursuant to Paragraphs 3(b)(i) and (ii) hereof, then the Buyer shall be deemed to have complied with the terms and conditions of such Offer if Buyer does or performs such act or action within thirty (30) days after the last day for exercise of Buyer's right to purchase pursuant to Paragraphs 3(b)(i) and(ii) hereof.
(iv) Sale to Third Party. If either the Company or some or all of the Continuing Shareholders do not elect to purchase all of the Shares which the Offering Shareholder proposes to sell, the Offering Shareholder may accept the Offer which the Offering Shareholder mailed with his notice to the Company pursuant to Paragraph 3(b) hereof and transfer all (but not less than all) of the Shares which he proposes to sell pursuant thereto on the same terms and conditions set forth in such Offer, provided that any transferee of such Shares shall be bound by this Agreement as provided by Paragraph l0 hereof, and further provided that if such sale is not completed within one hundred twenty (120) days after the date notice is received by the Company under Paragraph 3(b) hereof, all such Shares shall again become subject to the restrictions and provisions of this Agreement.
(v) Right of Co-Sale. Notwithstanding any other provision hereof, in the event the Offering Shareholder receives an Offer from an unaffiliated third party (the "Offeror") to purchase from such Shareholder not less than 20% of the Shares owned by such Shareholder and such Shareholder intends to accept such Offer, the Offering Shareholder shall, after complying with the provisions of Paragraph 3(b)(i) and (ii) above and before accepting such Offer, forward a copy of such Offer to the Company and each of the Continuing Shareholders. The Offering Shareholder shall not sell any such Shares to the Offeror unless the terms of the Offer are extended by the Offeror to the Continuing Shareholders pro rata in proportion to their ownership of Shares of the Company (excluding the Offering Shareholder's Shares) at the time of such Offer. The Continuing Shareholders shall have 10 days from the date of the foregoing Offer to accept such Offer.
(c) Share1, Share2 and Share3 may each during their lifetimes transfer all, hut not less than all, of their Shares to said Shareholder's spouse or a lineal descendant of such Shareholder, so long as prior to such transfer (i) such person, the Company, and all the Shareholders amend this Agreement to the reasonable satisfaction of such person, the Company and all the Shareholders to provide the parties to this Agreement with the rights, remedies and effect provided in this Agreement as if no such transfer had occurred, and (ii) the proposed transferee agrees in a writing satisfactory to the Company and all Shareholders that such person shall vote for Share1, Share3 and Share2 (or their nominees) as directors of the Company in accordance with Paragraph 14 hereof and shall be bound by all the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
4. Right of First Refusal.
(a) Except in the case of Excluded Securities (as defined below), the Company shall not issue, sell or exchange, agree to issue, sell or exchange, or reserve or set aside for issuance, sale or exchange, any (i) shares of Common Stock or any other equity security of the Company which is convertible into Common Stock or any other equity security of the Company, (ii) any debt security of the Company which is convertible into Common Stock or any other equity security of the Company, or (iii) any option, warrant or other right to subscribe for, purchase or otherwise acquire any equity security or any such debt security of the Company, unless in each case the Company shall have first offered to sell to each Shareholder, pro rata in proportion to such Shareholder's then ownership of Shares of the Company, such securities (the "Offered Securities") (and to sell thereto such Offered Securities not subscribed for by the other Shareholders as hereinafter provided), at a price and on such other terms as shall have been specified by the Company in writing delivered to such Shareholder (the "Stock Offer"), which Stock Offer by its terms shall remain open and irrevocable for a period of 10 days (subject to extension pursuant to the last sentence of subsection (b) below) from the date it is delivered by the Company to the Shareholder.
(b) Notice of each Shareholder's intention to accept, in whole or in part, a Stock Offer shall be evidenced by a writing signed by such Shareholder and delivered to the Company prior to the end of the 10-day period of such Stock Offer, setting forth such portion of the Offered Securities as such Shareholder elects to purchase (the "Notice of Acceptance"). If any Shareholder shall subscribe for less than his pro rata share of the Offered Securities to be sold, the other subscribing Shareholders shall be entitled to purchase the balance of that Shareholder's pro rata share in the same proportion in which they were entitled to purchase the Offered Securities in the first instance (excluding for such purposes such Shareholder), provided any such other Shareholder elected by a Notice of Acceptance to purchase all of his pro rata share of the Offered Securities. The Company shall notify each Shareholder within 5 days following the expiration of the 10-day period described above of the amount of Offered Securities which each Shareholder may purchase pursuant to the foregoing sentence, and each Shareholder shall then have l0 days from the delivery of such notice to indicate such additional amount, if any, that such Shareholder wishes to purchase.
(c) In the event that Notices of Acceptance are not given by the Shareholders in respect of all the Offered Securities, the Company shall have 120 days from the expiration of the foregoing 10-day or 25-day period, whichever is applicable, to sell all or any part of such Offered Securities as to which a Notice of Acceptance has not been given by the Shareholders (the "Refused Securities") to any other person or persons, but only upon terms and conditions in all respects, including, without limitation, unit price and interest rates, which are no more favorable, in the aggregate, to such other person or persons or less favorable to the Company than those set forth in the Stock Offer. Upon the closing, which shall include full payment to the Company, of the sale to such other person or persons of all the Refused Securities, the Shareholders shall purchase from the Company, and the Company shall sell to the Shareholders the Offered Securities in respect of which Notices of Acceptance were delivered to the Company by the Shareholders, at the terms specified in the Stock Offer.
(d) In each case, any Offered Securities not purchased by the Shareholders or other person or persons in accordance with Section 4(c) may not be sold or otherwise disposed of until they are again offered to the Shareholders under the procedures specified in Sections 4(a), (b) and (c).
(e) The rights of the Shareholders under this Section 4 shall not apply to the following securities (the "Excluded Securities"):
(i) Any (A) shares of Common Stock or any other equity security of the Company which is convertible into Common Stock or any other equity security of the Company, (B) debt security of the Company which is convertible into Common Stock or any other equity security of the Company, or (C) option, warrant or other right to subscribe for, purchase or otherwise acquire any equity security or any such debt security of the Company (collectively, an "Equity Security") if the issuance of such Equity Security does not alter the respective proportions of ownership (on a fully diluted basis) by Share1, Share2 and Share3, as among themselves, of Equity Securities immediately prior to the issuance of such Equity Security;
(ii) Common Stock issued as a stock dividend or upon any stock split or other subdivision or combination of the outstanding shares of Common Stock;
(iii) Securities issued pursuant to the acquisition by the Company of another corporation to the stockholders of such other corporation by merger or purchase of substantially all of the assets whereby the Company owns not less than 51% of the voting power of such other corporation; and
(iv) Common Stock issued in connection with a firm underwritten public offering of shares of Common Stock, registered pursuant to the Securities Act.
5. Sale Or Redemption Upon Termination of Employment or Upon Disability Or Upon Death. Upon the termination of a Management Shareholder's employment or other relationship with the Company (including without limitation, any position as an officer, director, consultant, joint venturer, independent contractor, or promoter to or of the Company) for whatever reason, the Disability (as defined below) of a Management Shareholder, or the death of a Management or Nonmanagement Shareholder (any such event hereinafter a "Triggering Event"), such Shareholder (or his heirs, executors, guardian or personal representative) within sixty (60) days after the Triggering Event shall offer to sell all, but not less than all, of the Shares owned by the Shareholder. Each offer shall be made to the Company in writing and shall exist for a period of ninety (90) days after such offer has been received by the Company. If the Company fails to purchase all of the Shares offered, the offer to sell shall be made in writing to all of the Continuing Shareholders in such proportion as the Continuing Shareholders may agree among themselves, or in the absence of agreement, pro rata in proportion to their then ownership of Shares of the Company (excluding the Offering Shareholder's Shares), and shall exist for a period of ninety (90) days after the offer has been received by all of the Continuing Shareholders. For purposes of this Agreement, "Disability" of a particular person means the inability, due to a physical or mental condition, of such person to maintain his employment or other relationship with the Company (including without limitation, fulfilling his duties in any position as an officer, director, consultant, joint venturer, independent contractor, or promoter to or of the Company) or to conduct his normal daily activities on behalf of the Corporation for any six (6) consecutive month period.
6. Purchase Price. The purchase price for all Shares purchased pursuant to Paragraph 5 hereof shall be determined as follows:
(a) The Company or the Continuing Shareholders, as the case may be, within thirty (30) days after receipt of any offer referred to in Paragraph 5 above, shall notify the Offering Shareholder of the price at which the Company or the Continuing Shareholders, as the case may be, are willing to purchase the Shares.
(b) In the event the Offering Shareholder objects to the purchase price established in accordance with Paragraph 6(a) above, the Offering Shareholder shall have the right to solicit offers to buy the Shares in accordance with the provisions of Paragraph 3(b) of this Agreement. The right to solicit offers shall be subject to the terms and conditions of Section 3(b) and (c) hereof, including without limitation, the rights of first refusal and co-sale and the period during which any right of first refusal must be exercised but shall not be subject to the one hundred twenty (120) day period referred to in Paragraph 3(b)(iv) of this Agreement.
7. Payment of Purchase Price. The purchase price for all Shares purchased pursuant to Paragraph 5 hereof shall be paid at the closing of the sale.
8. Put and Call Options
(a) Put and Call Options. Each Shareholder shall have the right and option upon the written declaration (a "Declaration") by such Shareholder to the other Shareholders and the Company of the occurrence of an "impasse" (as defined below) to sell to the Continuing Shareholders all of his Shares, and the Continuing Shareholders shall have the obligation to either (i) purchase all of such Shares owned by the offering Shareholder in such proportion as the Continuing Shareholders may agree upon, and if they cannot so agree, pro rata in proportion to their then ownership of Shares of the Company (excluding the Offering Shareholder's Shares) or (ii) if the Continuing Shareholders are unable or unwilling to purchase all of the Shares owned by the Offering Shareholder, sell all of their Shares to the Offering Shareholder, and the Offering Shareholder shall have the obligation to buy such Shares.
(b) Impasse. An "impasse" shall be conclusively evidenced by (i) either Share1, Share3 or Share2 or their respective representative, voting opposite the others at a vote at a shareholders meeting or at a vote at a meeting of the Board of Directors of the Company (or failing to attend such meetings upon due notice if such failure results in the lack of a quorum making such vote impossible), which vote is on a material issue, not in the ordinary course of business, and affecting the business, assets or operations of the Company, including, but not limited to, a proposal to merge, liquidate, consolidate or dissolve the Company, or to sell, lease or dispose of all or substantially all of the assets of the Company or to amend the substantive provisions of the Company's bylaws or articles of incorporation, or to issue or redeem stock, or to declare dividends of any kind, and (ii) either Share1, Share3 or Share2 notifying the others and the Company and any other Shareholders within thirty (30) days after such meeting, proposed meeting or vote than an "impasse" has occurred. The put and call rights granted to each Shareholder under this Paragraph 8 are independent of the other rights granted to the Shareholders and the Company under the other terms of this Agreement and such rights are not mutually exclusive or inconsistent.
(c) Exercise of Option. The Continuing Shareholders shall exercise any option provided for in this Paragraph 8 within thirty (30) days after receipt of a declaration. Any closing of the sale of Shares pursuant to such exercise shall occur within ninety (90) days after receipt of a Declaration.
(d) Purchase Price. Any purchase or sale of Shares sold pursuant to this Paragraph 8 shall be at the price as set forth in the Declaration delivered by the Shareholder exercising his right to sell his shares and shall be paid at the closing of the sale of the Shares.
9. Rights Upon Registration. In the event that the Company shall register or qualify any or all of the common stock of the Company under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (or any similar statute then in force), on an appropriate registration statement, the Company shall give the Shareholders written notice thereof, and upon written request of a Shareholder, received by the Company not later than fifteen (15) days after receipt by the Shareholder of such notice, the Company will include in the registration statement filed by the Company with the Securities and Exchange Commission all Shares held by such Shareholder with respect to which the Shareholder shall have so requested registration.
10. Agreement Binding on All Persons Interested in Shares. Each person who now or hereafter acquires any legal or equitable interest in any Shares shall be bound by the terms of this Agreement. No issuance or transfer of Shares shall be effective and the Company shall not enter any issue or transfer upon the stock books of the Company or issue a certificate in the name of any person unless the Company is satisfied that such person is, and in a manner satisfactory to the Company has acknowledged being, bound by this Agreement.
11. Closing. Except as otherwise agreed to or expressly provided for herein, closing pursuant to the exercise of a right to purchase or sell Shares pursuant to this Agreement shall be held at the principal executive offices of the Company.
12. Entry of Legend Upon Stock Certificates. The following legend shall he immediately entered on each stock certificate representing Shares owned by the Shareholders:
"The gift, sale, mortgage, pledge, hypothecation or other encumbering or transfer of the shares of the capital stock represented by this certificate is restricted in accordance with the terms and conditions of a Shareholders Agreement dated the day of 1996, a copy of which is on file at the principal executive offices of the Company. Said Shareholders Agreement restricts the ability of the Shareholder to sell, give, pledge, bequeath or otherwise transfer or dispose of this stock certificate and the shares of capital stock represented by it."
13. After Acquired Shares -- Subsequent Shareholders. The terms and conditions of this Agreement shall specifically apply not only to Shares owned by Shareholders at the time of execution of this Agreement, but also to any Shares acquired by any Shareholder subsequent to such execution.
14. Board of Directors. At each election of the Board of Directors of the Company, the Shareholders shall vote their Shares to elect three directors of the Company, one director being Share1, or his nominee, one director being Share3, or his nominee, and one director being Share2, or his nominee.
15. Community and Marital Property Laws. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, the following terms shall control to the extent community property laws or other marital property laws apply to the Shares of any Shareholder:
(a) Lifetime Transfers. The provisions of this Agreement regarding restrictions against the transfer of Shares shall apply to any interest of the spouse of any Shareholder in such Shares (said spouse is hereinafter referred to as a "Spouse").
(b) Transfers Upon Death of Spouse. If the Spouse of a Shareholder predeceases such Shareholder and has failed to bequeath to such Shareholder the deceased Spouse's entire marital property interest, if any, in the Shares held by the Shareholder, or if the Spouse of a Shareholder is adjudicated to be bankrupt or insolvent, or makes an assignment for the benefit of his or her creditors (collectively referred to herein as an "Event"), then to the extent necessary to divest the Spouse of any interest in the Shares of such Stockholder, within three months after the date of the occurrence of the Event, the Shareholder shall have the option to and must purchase such marital property interest of his or her Spouse or the estate of the deceased Spouse, as the case may be, in the Shares held by the Shareholder at a price equal to the lesser of either the value of the spouse's marital property interest in such Shares or the book value of such Shares.
(c) Marital Dissolution. Any decree of dissolution, separate maintenance agreement or other property settlement between a Shareholder and his or her Spouse shall provide that the entire marital property interest of the Spouse in the Shares of the Shareholder shall be granted to the Shareholder as part of the division of the property of the marriage and the Spouse shall release and the Shareholder shall accept any marital property interest of such Spouse in the Shares. If payment for such Shares is ordered by the Court or demanded by the Spouse, no consideration shall be required, but if the Shareholder volunteers consideration for said release of interest it shall be no greater than the lesser of either the value of the Spouse's marital property interest in such Shares or the book value of the Spouse's marital property interest in such Shares.
(d) Inclusion of Marital Property. Any purchase of the Shares of a Shareholder pursuant to any provision of this Agreement shall include without limitation or condition the entire marital property interest of the Spouse of such Shareholder in the Shares being purchased.
(e) Determination of Value. Book value and the value of a Spouse's interest in the Shares of a Shareholder for purposes of this Paragraph 15 shall be determined by the Shareholder. The Company and the other Shareholders shall not be responsible for the determination of the value of the marital property interest of any Spouse of a Shareholder, the determination of book value, or the purchase of or payment for such Spouse's marital property interest in the Shares of a Shareholder.
16. Insurance. The Company may, if it so desires, purchase insurance policies on the life of any Management Shareholder for the purpose of payment for stock purchases or as key man insurance. If any Shareholder on whose life the Company owns an insurance policy shall at any time during his lifetime sell all of his Shares, then that Shareholder shall have the right to purchase from the Company the insurance policy or policies on his life at the cash surrender value, if any. The Company shall deliver the policy or policies on the life of such Shareholder upon payment of the cash surrender value, if any, end shall execute any necessary instruments of transfer and change of beneficiary forms.
17. Subchapter S Election. The Company may elect to be taxed as a small business corporation under Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code, as amended from time to time (the "code"), or such other provisions of law as may hereafter be applicable to such an election, and for state income tax purposes, if available (hereinafter, an "Election"). Each Shareholder and the Company agree to execute and file the necessary forms for making and maintaining en Election, and each Shareholder agrees to deliver to the Company the consent of the spouse of such Shareholder if such consent is required for the Election under any community or marital property laws or otherwise. The Shareholders and the Company agree that they will take such other actions as may be deemed necessary or advisable by counsel to the Company to exercise or maintain the Election. The Shareholders shall maintain the Election unless the Management Shareholders unanimously agree otherwise or in the event that the Board of Directors requests that the Shareholders revoke the Election, in which case the Shareholders shall promptly execute and deliver to the Company such documents as may be necessary to revoke the Election. None of the Shareholders, without the consent of all of the Management Shareholders, shall take any action or position, or make any transfer or other disposition of his shares of the Company which may result in the termination or revocation of the Election. In the event of an inadvertent termination of the Election as described in Section 1362(f) of the Code or other applicable law, the Shareholders shall agree to make such adjustments as may be required to continue the Election, as provided in Section 1362(f)(4) of the Code or other applicable law.
18. Pro Rata Allocations. All items of income and loss of the Company shall be assigned pro rata to each day throughout the year. However, the Shareholders hereby consent to make an election pursuant to Section 1362(c)(3) of the Code or Section 1377(a)(2) of the Code in the event that the Board of Directors determines such elections to be in the best interest of a majority of the Shareholders.
19. Authorization. The Company is authorized to enter into this Agreement by virtue of a resolution passed at a meeting of the Board of Directors.
20. Notices. Notices and declarations under this Agreement shall be in writing and sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, postage paid, to the Company at its principal executive offices and to Shareholders at their last address as shown on the records of the Company or at such other address with respect to any party hereto as such party shall notify the other Shareholders and the Company in writing in the manner specified herein.
21. Termination. The rights and obligations of the Company and the Shareholders under this Agreement shall terminate upon written agreement of all then existing Shareholders or upon the registration or qualification of any or all of the Common stock of the Company pursuant to Paragraph 9 hereof.
22. Severability. The various provisions of this Agreement are severable from each other and from the other provisions of the Agreement, and in the event that any provision in this Agreement shall be held to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of this Agreement shall be fully effective, operative and enforceable.
23. Free end Clear of Encumbrances. All Shares sold pursuant to the terms of this Agreement shall be free of any and all liens and encumbrances and accompanied by stock powers duly endorsed in blank.
24. Binding Effect. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective heirs, personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns.
25. Gender. Pronouns used herein are to be interpreted as referring to both the masculine and feminine gender.
26. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California without reference to conflict of laws principles except to the extent that the community or marital property laws of any state would otherwise be applicable to a particular situation, in which event, such community or marital property laws shall apply to the particular situation.
27. Entire Agreement. This instrument contains the entire agreement of the parties and may be changed only by an agreement in writing signed by the Company and all persons then owning Shares.
28. Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in one or more counterparts each of which shall be deemed an original and all of which together shall be deemed to be one and the same instrument.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have duly executed this Agreement on the day and year set forth below.
___________________________ _____________________ Shareholder 1 Date
___________________________ _____________________ Shareholder 2 Date
___________________________ _____________________ Shareholder 2 Date
SPOUSAL CONSENT TO SHAREHOLDERS AGREEMENT
The undersigned being the spouse of SHAREHOLDER [#], one of the Shareholders named in the foregoing Shareholders Agreement (the "Agreement"), hereby acknowledges that:
1. I have read the foregoing Agreement in its entirety and understand that:
(A) Upon the occurrence of certain events as specified in the Agreement, the Company, my spouse, and the other Shareholders will have the right to and may be obligated to purchase Shares owned by another Shareholder at a price and on terms and conditions set forth in the Agreement;
(B) Any purchase of the Shares of any Shareholder will include his or her entire interest in such Shares and any community property interest and other marital property interest of the spouse of such Shareholder; and
(C) The Agreement imposes certain restrictions on any attempts by me to transfer any interest I may have in the Company or any Shares of the Company by virtue of my marriage and confers on my spouse the right and obligation to purchase any interest I may have in the Company or any Shares of the Company upon the occurrence of certain events.
2. I hereby approve and agree to be bound to all of the terms of the Agreement and agree that any interest (community property or otherwise) that I may have in the Company or any Shares of the Company shall be subject to the terms of this spousal consent and the Agreement.
3. 1 agree that my spouse may join in any future amendments or modifications to the Agreement without any notice to me and without any signature, acknowledgment, agreement or consent on my part.
4. I agree that I will transfer or bequeath any interest I may have in the Company or any Shares of the Company by my will, outright and free of trust to my spouse.
5. I acknowledge that I have been advised and have been encouraged to seek independent counsel of my own choosing to represent me in matters regarding the Shareholders Agreement and my execution of this spousal consent.
6. I hereby consent to the Company and my spouse making and maintaining the Subchapter S Election (if applicable) under the Internal Revenue Code, as amended from time to time.
Spouse's Signature Date
For Up-To-Date Forms Covering Just About Every State & Situation plus Summaries of
Relevant Laws We STRONGLY SUGGEST Checking Out
(This should open a new window. Close it when you're done and you'll be back here.)
Brought to you by - The 'Lectric Law Library
The Net's Finest Legal Resource For Legal Pros & Laypeople Alike.