PREMIUM LEGAL RESOURCES
ASK A LAWYER
Applicant Interview Checklist
Questions that may be asked in many states:
- Would you tell us about your last job?
- What were your major duties and responsibilities?
- Describe a typical day on your last employment.
- What are some of the problems involved in your last job?
- Which problems frustrated you the most?
- How did you overcome the problems encountered?
- How did your previous job prepare you for this position?
- What were your goals at your last job? Did you reach them?
- What position did your immediate supervisor hold?
- Why do you want this position?
- What can you contribute to this company?
- What qualifications do you have for this position?
- Do you know of any reasons or problems that would prevent you from working normal hours? Overtime?
- Do you know of any reasons that would prevent you from traveling? [only if traveling is a part of the job]
- What do you consider your strong points?
- What do you consider your weak points?
- What is your strongest personal quality and weakest?
- What do you want to do in your next job that you cannot do in your present one?
- Do you have any special skills or knowledge? Are your skills recent?
- When did you last use a [machine or skill]?
- What is your career objective?
- What do you intend to do to reach your career objective?
- In what subjects did you make good grades in school?
- What was your major? Why?
- Are you interested in continuing your education?
- How did your education prepare you for this job?
- What professional organizations that are relevant to your job do you belong to?
- Have you ever worked for this company under a different name?
- In checking your references and work record, are there any other names or nicknames you have used that we should check under?
- If hired, can you provide proof of citizenship or right to work in this country?