Copy of The Official Supboena of Karl Rove's Email
(From US Government's PDF)
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Congress of the United States
To Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General of the United States, Greeting:
Pursuant to lawful authority, YOU ARE HEREBY COMMANDED to appear before the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate of the United States, on May 15, 2007, at 2:00 o'clock p.m., at their committee room 226 Dirksen Senate Office Building, then and there to testify what you know relative to the Committee's inquiry into the preservation of prosecutorial independence and the Department of Justice's politicization of the hiring and firing of United States Attorneys and to bring with you the documents described in Attachment A under the terms and conditions stated therein. A personal appearance at the above-referenced date and time will not be necessary if the documents described in Attachment A are delivered to the Committee's offices prior to the scheduled return.
Hereof fail not, as you will answer your default under the pains and penalties in such cases made and provided. To any Committee staff member or U.S. Marshal to serve and return.
Complete and unredacted versions of any and all emails and attaclunents to emails to, from, or copied to Karl Rove related to the Committee's investigation into the preservation ofprosecutorial independence and the Department of Justice's politicization of the hiring and fIring and decision-making of United States Attorneys, from any (1) White House account, (2) Republican National Committee Account, or (3) other account, in the possession, custody or control of the Department of Justice, including any such emails that were obtained by U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald as part of the investigation into the leak of the identity of a covert CIA officer by offIcials in the Administration that led to the conviction of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby. The documents produced shall include, but not be limited to:
- Documents related to the Administration's evaluation of, and decisions to
remove and/or replace, U.S. Attorneys since President Bush's re-election.
- Documents related to the selection, discussion and evaluation of possible
replacements for any U.S. Attorney, including interim or acting
- Documents related to the performance and decision-making of U.S.
Attorneys, including in cases involving public corruption specifIcally or
broadly, voter fraud, vote suppression, and enforcement or non-
enforcement of civil rights laws protecting voting rights.
- Documents related to the hiring, fIring, appointment, removal, or
resignation of career and political personnel at the Department of Justice,
including documents related to the policies for and White House or
Department offIcials involved in the hiring, fIring, appointment, removal,
or resignation of career and political personnel.
- In complying with this subpoena, you are required to produce all responsive documents that are in your possession, custody, or control, whether held by you or your past or present agent, employee, or representative acting on your behalf. You are also required to produce documents that you have a legal right to obtain, that you have a right to copy, or to which you have access, as well as documents that you have placed in the temporary possession, custody, or control or any third party.
- No documents as defined herein called for by this request shall be destroyed, modified, removed, transferred, or otherwise made inaccessible to the Committee. If you have knowledge that any subpoenaed document as defined herein has been destroyed, discarded, or lost, identify the subpoenaed document and provide an explanation of the destruction, discarding, loss or disposal and the date at which then document was destroyed, discarded or lost.
- This subpoena is continuing in nature. Any document not produced because it has not been located or discovered by the return date shall be provided immediately upon location or discovery subsequent thereto with an explanation of why it was not located or discovered by the return date.
- If you believe any responsive documents are protected by a privilege, please provide a privilege log which (l) identifies any and all responsive documents to which the privilege is asserted, (2) sets forth the date, type, addressee(s), author(s) (and, if different, the preparer and signatory), general subject matter, and indicated or known circulation of the document, and (3) states the privilege asserted in sufficient detail to ascertain the validity of the claim of privilege.
- Production with respect to each document shall include all electronic versions and data files from email applications as well as from word processing, spreadsheet, or other electronic data repositories applicable to any attachments, and shall be provided to the Committee where possible in its native file fonnat and shall include all original metadata for each electronic documents or data file.
- The term "document" as used in this subpoena includes all emails, memoranda, reports, agreements, notes, correspondence, files, records, and other documents, data or information in any form, whether physical or electronic, maintained on any digital repository or electronic media, and should be construed as it is used in the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
- The terms "related" and "relating" with respect to any given subject, shall be construed broadly to mean anything that constitutes, contains, embodies, reflects, identifies, concerns, states, refers to, deals with or is in any manner whatsoever pertinent to the subject.
- The terms "including" and "includes," with respect to any given subject, shall be construed broadly so that specification of any particular matter shall not be construed to exclude any documents that you have reason to believe the Committee might regard as responsive.
- The terms "Department of Justice" and "Department" includes without limitation, anyone presently or formerly employed there, suspended from employment there, or on administrative leave from employment there.
- The terms "you" and "your" include you individually, in your capacity as Attorney General, as well as the Department of Justice, and, without limitation, anyone presently or formerly employed there, suspended from employment there, or on administrative leave from employment there.
See also Letter from U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
Regarding the Supboena of Karl Rove's Email