Exercise Extreme Caution when using many of our free forms - or any legal material. While they may provide general ideas on format & content, validity requirements can and do vary greatly from state to state. Many MUST be Properly Modified for your own location and circumstances. (Hint: If in doubt it's usually safer to include unneeded clauses than to leave out necessary ones. . . . but it's even safer to consult a competent source or use current, state specific ones like ours mentioned below.) Also, we urge people (and lawyers too) to read our Relying On Legal Info FAQ.
This Agreement entered into this ____ day of ______________, 20__ by and between ("Tenant") and [Fict./dba/Owner Name] ("Owner").
Witnessed: That for the consideration of rent payments and covenants adherence on the part of the Tenant, the Owner rents to the Tenant, and the Tenant hires from the Owner, for residential use only, the premises known as [Street Address] Unit # __, [City/State/Zip] and assigned parking space # ___ . Rent is due in advance on the first (1st) day of each month and every month at $___________ per month beginning the first (1st) day of___________. If the first month's rental is adjusted, the rental sum of $____________ has been received by Owner for the period of ________________ to _________________________.
The Tenant further agrees:
1. If monthly rent or any payment due hereunder is not received by the first (1st) of the month, the Tenant will pay a fee of [Late Fee] of rent to help defray the cost of collection. The term of this Agreement is month to month. It can be terminated at any time by Owner if Tenant violates any agreement with Owner. Tenant must give notice to Owner at least thirty (30) days prior to vacancy. If Tenant fails to give timely notice, Tenant will be liable until the [Apartment/House/Condo] is rerented.
2. $_________ has been deposited as security by Tenant. Owner may use therefrom such amounts as are reasonably necessary to remedy Tenant defaults in the payment of rent or other obligation, to repair damages to the premises caused by Tenant, their guests or invitees exclusive of ordinary wear and tear, to repair or replace Inventory listed in paragraph 18 herein, to clean the premises if necessary upon the termination of tenancy, or any other obligation provided for herein. No later than two (2) weeks after termination of tenancy and vacancy, the Owner shall send to Tenant an itemized written statement of the basis for, and the amount of, any security received and the disposition of such security and shall return any remaining portion of such security to Tenant at Tenant's last known address. It is understood that the security deposit will not be used as the last months rent.
3. Without the Owner's prior written consent, the premises shall be occupied only by the undersigned adults and ______ children. If any additional persons in excess of the number herein specified occupy the premises, Tenant agrees to pay additional rent in the amount of $_____ per month for each such additional person, but no such additional person may occupy the premises without Owner's written consent.
4. Without the Owner's prior written consent, no bird or pet shall be kept or allowed in or about such premises. Tenant shall not keep or permit to be kept in said premises any dog, cat, parrot or other bird or animal. In the event a pet is allowed by Owner the rent will be increased $______ per month and the security deposit will be increased by $_________.
5. Tenant shall not violate any governmental law in the use of such premises, permit waste or nuisance, annoy, molest, or interfere with any neighbor.
6. No repairs, decorations or alterations shall be done without Owner's prior written consent. Decorations include but are not limited to painting, wallpapering, hanging of ceiling lamps, pictures and posters.
7. No portion of said premises may be sublet nor this Agreement assigned.
8. Tenant has inspected the premises, furnishings and equipment and has found the same to be satisfactory. All plumbing, heating, and electrical are operative. In addition the items listed in paragraph 18 are in satisfactory condition and as inventoried.
9. To keep the premises clean, sanitary and in good working order and repair during the term of this tenancy, and to surrender the same in like condition exclusive of ordinary wear and tear. Tenant is also responsible for keeping the common grounds including the garage and laundry room clean.
10. To pay for all utilities, services and charges including gas, electricity, made by or predicated upon the occupancy of residence. Tenant shall be responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of drapes, curtains and carpets. Tenant shall not enter into a contractual agreement with a cable TV company other than on a month to month basis with the cable company for which the [Apartment/House/Condo] is wired.
11. Not to store or use hazardous waste or chemicals in or about the premises.
12. The undersigned Tenant, whether or not in actual possession of the premises, are jointly and severely liable for all rent incurred during the term of this Agreement, and for all damages to the premises caused by or permitted by Tenant, their guests and invitees.
13. If any legal action or proceeding be brought by either party to enforce any part of this Agreement, the prevailing party shall recover, in addition to all other relief, reasonable costs, including attorney's fees, whether or not the action proceeds to judgment.
14. The Owner or his representative may enter the premises in case of an emergency, to make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements, to supply necessary or agreed services, to exhibit the premises to prospective or actual purchasers, tenants, workmen or contractors. Except in the case of an emergency, the Owner shall give Tenant twenty-four (24) hours notice, and shall enter during normal business hours.
15. All additions, and all pages attached hereto and signed by Owner and Tenant which may contain the inventory, credit information, house rules, locker and parking assignments, and/or pertinent information conforming to Owner's policy, when included, form an integral part of this Agreement, and upon signing, the Tenant endorses the fact that he has read the Agreement in its entirety and has received a copy thereof.
16. Owner shall in no way be liable if, through no fault of Owner, the premises cannot be delivered upon commencement date. In this event, the Tenant's rent shall abate until said possession is given or made available. This Agreement shall not be terminated by reason of any interruption of or interference with, services or accommodations due Tenant caused by strike, riot, orders of public authorities, acts of other tenants or neighbors, acts of God, accident, the making of repairs, or any other cause beyond Owner's control.
17. It is understood by Tenant that Tenant's personal effects are not insured by Owner and that Tenant may insure his own personal property with his own policy. Tenant agrees that Owner shall not be responsible or liable in any way for injury to any person, or loss of or damage to any article belonging to Tenant located on the premises under control of Owner.
19. This constitutes the entire agreement between the parties. There are no representations not expressed herein. Owner, however, reserves the right, and Tenant agrees to extend the right to Owner, to make reasonable rules and regulations in addition to the present covenants and rules which, in the Owner's judgment, may become necessary.
20. Each and all provisions hereof shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of their heirs, executors, administrators, successors, or assignees of Owner, and the heirs, executors, and administrators of Tenant, and upon the assigns of Tenant if any assignment has been made with the Owner's written consent.
21. In this Agreement, whenever the contents require to conform to the facts, the masculine gender includes the feminine and/or neuter, and the singular number includes the plural.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Agreement in duplicate on the day, month and year first above written.
The Current Page is: